View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A pretty small project, but Observatory Hill is kicking off a $1.7 million restoration of two abandoned structures in its "Five Points" business district.

I wish them the best of luck, but I'm still a bit leery of the idea of an Observatory Hill turnaround. When I first moved here it seemed like there was a pretty strong preservationist community who had moved into and restored a lot of the grand houses, but neighborhood improvement has stalled - even reversed - since then. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised, but Pittsburgh's still not a strong enough metro for every neighborhood with a walkable core to head in the right direction.
Yeah, this area is a tough one... it could be a really cool little hub for the surrounding neighborhood, but it seems rather isolated to pull in substantial-enough commerce from elsewhere. And obviously much of the surrounding neighborhood that could potentially support it is poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Millvale Ecodistrict is being expanded to Etna and Sharpsburg in the form of the Triboro Ecodistrict, with $2.3 million in funding to start for various projects:

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/envir...art-education/

This strikes me as a very smart approach, and hopefully will help a really strategic stretch of river continue to blossom.
Not crazy about their branding with 'Triboro', but good to see this happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Are you sure it's not the senior apartment? IIRC, the senior apartment (an Action Housing project) was set back from the corner on Murray Avenue. In contrast, the market-rate apartment was supposed to be right on the corner, and required the demolition of a few of the existing buildings on Forward.
It is the senior apartment development on Murray, not the development on Forward.