View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
No, it did run to Oak Park Ave until, I believe 1947.

An extension to Harlem and Riverside Park Mall would connect an area with very solid trip density to rapid transit, but at this stage it's really not cost-effective considering it would probably have to be done in a trench to pass the Environmental Impact Study (noise and visual pollution).
Right, it went to Oak Park Ave and additional land was bought to extend it to Harlem, which never happened. West of Oak Park Ave you can still see where the right of way obviously was, but it's been turned into parks and some facilities. I wouldn't expect anybody to seriously consider restoring the former service now, considering it would have to be either elevated or sunken, but one nice thing about the corridor is that it would require virtually no demolition. And I've never exactly had a difficult time parking around Cermak. I just think it's interesting to see where the path of former transit lines is still very obvious, unlike, say, the section of the Paulina connector north of Lake, which has been largely filled in.