View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I think the first step to getting the market to deliver consistently high-quality towers being built downtown is making downtown for desirable, and the first step to that is just getting more people living and spending time downtown.
I agree with Zalf.

This is an objectively ugly tower by Canadian standards. Bulky, small window coverage, and cheap looking cladding/paneling. I think removing the giant hat will be an improvement and will hopefully make it stand out less.

But at the end of the day it adds residential density to a vacant lot so that is a win in my books. Its unfortunate that due to its size it will be fairly prominent, but there are plenty of nearby lots which if developed tastefully could dilute the ugliness of this building. In order to get nice buildings there needs to be more people who want to spend money on nice apartments. To do that, downtown needs to become more vibrant which I believe we can only achieve by adding more residents and the amenities they attract. Even if those residents have modest incomes and live in modest buildings, they will have an important contribution to the downtown.