View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
^^^

The Bizarre L.A. caption for this photo says: "A Sunset Boulevard cafe, circa 1940s. I’m not clear as to what the name of the cafe really is. In the 1950s, there was a Sunset Liquor store at 3728 Sunset Blvd. and a Sunset Cafe at 2135 Sunset Blvd. I’m thinking that this joint was at a different locale, possibly closer to Hollywood/West Hollywood."

This is what I've got:

It looks like the red cars pass by this location so I don't believe it's closer to Hollywood/West Hollywood as Sunset Blvd. isn't a PE location by that point. The 3728 location on Sunset doesn't seem reasonable, either from looking at GSV.

As to the Sunset Cafe address at 2135, on Sunset Blvd. now you have these (unusally named) Echo Park businesses at:
(the ones grouped together are in the same building)

2157 Sunset: Luxe DeVille
2153 Sunset: Spacedust
2151 Sunset: Local Boogeyman

2149 Sunset: Cosmic Vinyl
2147 Sunset: iam8but
2145 Sunser: vacant at present

2141 Sunset: Mohawk Bend

2131 Sunset: Botanica Yosmar

Using the Bizarre LA info of a Sunset Cafe at 2135 Sunset Blvd., I think this cafe was the building comprising these businesses now:
2149 Sunset: Cosmic Vinyl
2147 Sunset: iam8bit
2145 Sunset: vacant at present

It's a one story building. All the art deco look and signage is gone, but the edge of the building next to it on the left in the b&w photograph looks remearkably the same now.
It has the flat-edged molded top part, the proper spacing until the molded edge where the Coca Cola sign is. Plus, there's the same space between the two buildings.

What do you think?
I don't think that's it, there's a parking lot to the right of the "Liquor/Fine Dining" establishment, the building at 2145-49 has a building to the right. Checking the building records for 2141 Sunset, it was built in 1914 as a theater.