View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Old gas stations are kind of my thing so I spent more time than I care to admit looking for for a 10607 address that might show some remains of the old buildings. I know there are some addresses with that number on east/west streets and I looked for some of those but figured it would more likely to be on a north/south street around 106th Street. I looked everywhere from Inglewood to Southgate and came up empty. I did see a few neighborhoods that looked right but again, absolutely nothing remotely resembling the gas station building. I also looked for the house across the street in the film and no luck there either.
I tried the city directories, which I have not have not had a lot of luck with and that trend continued. The only tip that looked promising was an auto repair shop at 10607 S Budlong Ave. somewhere around 1942 but the current building does not match up.
I'm curious to see e_r's results but I'm afraid I'm not about to stumble onto the answer.

The kid and the guy running the gas station are priceless!

Alternative American Gothic?
That was a valiant effort, Bristolian.

I (just now) attempted to retrace the steps I took to locate the gas station & shoe shop.

If I remember correctly I simply took a stab in the dark and typed "10607" in the search data base for city directories
and then picked the city directory that was closest to the date of the home movie.

The first & second address that came up was 10607 Budlong.

LAPL

The second one mentions a restaurant so I thought I'd check it out.

gsv

Here's the corner.

It's possible some of the buildings were part of the gas station. . .

. . .but this is what sold me.

The house across the street.

The grocery store that you briefly see in the film on the northeast corner. . . the building is still there

If anyone wants to see the video again GO HERE
. (gas station scene begins at 1:36)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 2, 2020 at 11:37 PM.