View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Yeah I don't think people know how good we got it here. In any city besides obviously New York...Austin...Seattle, this would be a big deal. But to us this is basically infill. This used to be some underutilized 3 story brick building, not its a glass tower with tons of retail on our signature street, a new boutiuqe hotel brand coming to chicago, and apartments.

yeah the design could be better and i defintely agree they should've added something to the top, but for a city like Atlanta, Denver, or Boston, this would be one of the most anticipated projects.
I don't think the only options were "crappy underutilized 3 story brick building" or "crappy identikit box." I think the site could have been reserved for something special and I suspect few people in Denver, Atlanta or Boston think this is special in any way. At best, they would bemoan it as the kind of blah filler they (and we) have become inured to. As an aside, Citizen M is hardly boutique (they're fine for what they are--mid-range accommodations with some flair) but that's beside the point: good to have Citizen M here but, hey, it could have been in a nice building. I think the best that could be said about this stump is that its location next to C&C offers such a stark contrast to an era when beauty and craftsmanship mattered.

It seems like "it beats having a parking lot" is a common rationale for mediocrity around here