View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 3:32 PM
TL;DR

^ I don't love the design, I just don't get the hysteria against. It's bland and forgettable, ergo I will forget about it after it goes up. It doesn't really alter the appearance of the station inside or out.

The only reason I'm in favor is that it enables a full top-to-bottom renovation of the historic parts of the headhouse, which needs to happen yesterday. If they wanted to put a giant stovepipe hat on top of the headhouse, I would support it so they can get renovations underway before the historic station crumbles any further.

If I could go back in a time machine I would tell Burnham to build a dedicated station without plans for an enormous commercial highrise on top, let the station be a low-rise jewel box among giants like Grand Central Terminal. But Burnham did provide a beautiful concourse that was supposed to be the jewel box, and then a few decades later Penn Central decided to build an office tower in place of the concourse instead of the headhouse where a tower was supposed to be. I assume this was because the foundation capacity in the headhouse would not support a true highrise, and fluorescent lighting made light court towers obsolete and inefficient.

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 27, 2018 at 3:42 PM.