View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 8:04 PM
you know where I'll be

^ This is an argument though (the significant complexities involved in planning and construction) for having the start of construction of the red line station to be part of phase 1. It's common sense to put that very substantial and critical public investment at the front end of this overall project. Given the time involved, there will certainly be multiple buildings (probably quite a few) up and running by the time the station would actually open.

I too hope it's a mistake in reporting that the station is planned as part of later phase. That defies logic.

I'm certainly excited about the DPI investment, and look forward to it. That stated, I don't get the 78 as a large scale office location (Related seems intent on moving forward with a very heavy office component in phase 1 - perhaps strategically to establish that before there's a significant NIMBY influence....but then again if the zoning is completely there, it may not be legally necessary - I don't know what's been written into the PD in terms of getting additional approvals for successive phases, etc - maybe that's not required at all - and it's more for just less of a long-sighted neighborhood/pr strategy), as having a future red line station and being a short bus ride or long walk away from the Roosevelt El station doesn't make this a logical location for a relatively dense concentration of several thousand office jobs. Is it a better location for it than Lincoln Yards for this? Yes, of course. But that's a low standard. Once again, this location overwhelmingly favors dense residential development.

I've been very puzzled as to why Riverline has not yet moved forward, and a second tower (if not a third) has yet to begin construction at Southbank. Perhaps this momentum building - quite a bit earlier than I thought it would, to be frank - at the 78 will light a fire under CMK and LendLease. One thing I noticed, and I could be wrong - someone please correct if so - is that CMK may have recently redesigned the Riverline website: https://www.riverlinechicago.com/ If true, they could have plans to get moving soon.

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Feb 14, 2020 at 8:16 PM.