View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
^^Québec is becoming even more ridiculous than France on this issue. Are they also going to ban the flag of Québec because it displays a Christian cross?
At least they're being consistent. If it is truly important to the Quebec government/citizens that public employees be free of any attire that references religion (which IMO is a valid approach that I believe they are sincere about, even if it's probably not what I would do if I were in charge of a province) then having a police force's patches depict specific Christian Saints would be in violation of that. If this is what secularism means to them then this is what secularism means to them. If this were a private security firm and not a public police force, I don't think that would apply.

I'll admit I don't know the exact history of the Quebec flag, but I always just interpreted it as being "divided into four equal parts", and this is ambiguous enough that I don't think it counts as an obvious religious symbol in this context. If they decide they want to come up with a new flag then that's really their own prerogative IMO.