Thread: Tucson, AZ
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:28 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Tucson! As an active member of the Tucson forum here, I'm always on the lookout for local representation in My City Photos, which is unfortunately less frequent than I think the city deserves.

A few notes:

You may have seen already but it was announced last week that Maria Mazon, the owner of Boca, is going to be a contestant on the next season of Top Chef. I believe she'll be the first chef from Arizona on the show and she's rapidly becoming a Tucson icon so it's a pretty big deal for us.

There's been some good discussion of architectural styles here, which vary from neighborhood to neighborhood around downtown Tucson, so I figured I'd link a brochure the city published a few years back detailing the styles by neighborhood. All of the illustrations are of real homes and you can easily see the progression from our oldest neighborhoods like Barrio Viejo to the more midcentury styles that predominate in midtown Tucson.

Finally, one architect, Josias Joesler, was responsible for much of the revival style architecture seen throughout Tucson. He came to Tucson by invitation of a developer in the 1920s upon the recommendation of George Washington Smith.