View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 9:25 PM

e_r, the rough outlines of the property's ownership, at least in the Yankee era, according to my notes, seem to be:

Jean Louis Vignes, who came to LA in 1829? 1831? (veracious sources differ), from Bordeaux France, had his big vineyard in that section and indeed his residence was in the proximity of the old Aliso, William Heath Davis (a sea captain of the time) says that he was often known as "Don Luis del Aliso."

In 1855, his nephew Jean-Louis Sainsevain (often seen with an "e" ending his surname) bought the property, but it seems that Vignes, nevertheless stayed on residing there, perhaps ill (he died in L.A. in 1862 "after a long illness").

Sainsevain is not in the L.A. census of 1870, and presumably by that time had moved to Cucamonga, where he also had a vineyard; and perhaps had sold the vineyard/Aliso property by that time; but perhaps the property was owned by him but idle until:

In 1873, “Wattelet & Vogel are the proprietors of the new Philadelphia Brewery” (LA Herald, 11/12/1873). And so in mid-November, 1873, the Philadelphia Brewery was new.

And here is my contribution to images of the old Aliso. I picked up this image, on which are markings indicating preparation for publication seemingly in a newspaper, on eBay. The seller didn't realize its significance.

odinthor collection