View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 8:10 PM

Before the brewery.

I know we have visited El Aliso Tree numerous times in the past but here's an image that we might not have seen that predates the Philadelphia Brewery by four years.

musician's loft

The date is at the bottom, 1870. (I missed it at first because it's partially cropped off)

There appears to be one story buildings in the distance (there's a flue with a short column of smoke at far left)

I'm afraid the disorienting debris in the foreground is beyond figuring out. (at first I thought the rounded item was the remnant of an old water wheel)

The photograph is labeled 'Vignes Winery' on the musician's site

Like this.

. . .so the Philadelphia Brewery bought the land that was once the Vignes Winery.

Is that correct?

UPDATE: I just found the answer.

"In 1837 Frenchman Jean-Louis Vignes opened a winery under the sycamore, building some one-story frame buildings to house his business
(and giving his name to Vignes Street). The El Aliso Winery, named for the tree, became the center of LA's Frenchtown, and shipped 150,000 bottles of wine per year.

Despite their success, the Vignes family sold out to German immigrants in 1874 who opened the Philadelphia Brewing Company on the site."

Noirishers, we have no doubt covered this earlier in the thread. Sorry for the repetition.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 18, 2021 at 8:43 PM.