View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
It looks like one of Martin Turnbull's followers on Twitter solved the mystery yesterday.

https://twitter.com/SF_Historian/sta...39074228297732

I wrote to MT last night and asked him what prompted him to post that photo with the rooftop mystery on his twitter recently, as I believe he knows we've been looking for an answer to that for many years. He said that one of his followers had recently sent it to him wondering what it was, so he thought he'd post it on Twitter and, as we know, he got a reply!

MT wrote and thanked that person, SF Historian, and wondered how he came upon the answer and here is some of his reply:

SF Historian: [...] I am a professional historian by trade, but my focus for two decades was San Francisco. However, some of your tweets showed up in my feed one day, and I realized that Los Angeles was just as rich, historically, and so wanted to learn more. I LOVE when people have research questions, and this was a very fun ... well, how do I put this? It's like being on an Easter egg hunt, but as an adult. What's funny is that the LA Noirish website was actually the key. They posted this photo (see attached), and once I had the owner name, I could search the newspaper archives. That led me to the sale when he purchased the property, which led me to the original owner, which led me to the answer! [...]

PS: I am sure the strange angle of the projection box was what the advertising agency figured would be the least likely to result in glare, and thus make the movie images more visible.

The one post he was specifically referring to on NLA is this one, posted by Noir_Noir in August, 2018:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Here's the 1938 Charles S. Lee replacement building on the NE corner of Hollywood and Cherokee.

ucla.library

[...]