View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:28 PM

I was by there both yesterday and today, and there is no piledriver in the location you're talking about. But you are correct that the location you describe is Alexandria's "North Campus," where the two-building complex at 455 Mission Bay Blvd South will be their first project (aside from the parking garage currently under construction one block south of there).

Test piles have already been driven for this project, and my understanding is that bids for the actual construction were due yesterday. So the next time you see activity there, it should be the real deal.

My guess is that the piledriver you saw is the one for UCSF's cardiovascular research building. This is west of Third Street (and just west of UCSF's Diller Building). The piledriver has been there for about two months and has completed test piles, but there hasn't been any pile activity for a couple of weeks now.

There's a good shot of the piledriver in UCSF's Diller Building webcam. You can easily see the western façade of the Diller Building and much of the cardiovascular research building's footprint, as well as the giant hole for utility/pipeline work in Nelson Rising Lane in the bottom right corner of the image. I've been told that the cardiovascular research building will have a dedicated webcam once full construction starts.