View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2023, 8:12 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
QoL is hyper regional. In Manitoba and Saskatchewan, you can make mistake after mistake and still end up a homeowner by 30. I know people with downpayments of $10k. Hell, I had a buddy buy a decent quality condo for $120k. Disposable income is high.

We have houses in the hood for under $50,000.

In Southern Ontario and BC, you can make smart choice after smart choice, work hard and have family help, and still be far from being a homeowner at 35. If you buy, disposable income is low.

Maritimes, Alberta; and Quebec is in between.

I don't think people from Toronto/Vancouver understand how cheap housing is here and how it completely changes your life. There's no saving for a downpayment for years. There's no 1 hour commute. Vacations for median income earners are plentiful. Retirement at 55 is doable. Retirement by 60 is very common.

It's basically two different worlds.

It is very regional, but keep in mind that Ontario + BC alone account for half of the Canadian population. Add in other increasingly high-cost markets like Montreal, Halifax, and Calgary, and you have a large majority of Canadians living in places that are being acutely impacted by the housing crisis. What used to just be a Vancouver & Toronto problem has become a much wider one.

And even in the cheaper markets affordability is rapidly deteriorating, as housing/rental price appreciation continues to outpace wage growth.