View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 7:39 PM

with all my recent research on the areas along los angeles street and through old china town, i now can make sense of this image that i saw sometime ago on the calisphere site

Source: Calisphere http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/hb867nb5nt/FID5

the billboard is on los angeles street with calle de los negros behind the billboard. the building behind the billboard is the building that i had found out was the YMCA. The map that is on the billboard is oriented with los angeles street at the bottom, running between ferguson alley on the left, and aliso street on the right. the map continues upward to alameda street.

chinatown map (redux)

when Union Station was built, only the north eastern portion of china town was cleared, leaving the south western portion intact........only to b destroyed 10 years later by the 101 freeway which will slam right through........well the very spot where this billboard stood.

i guess a lot of long time businesses of chinatown, weren't drinking the christine sterling kool-ade and picking up and relocating to her spanking new, (albeit fire prone) china city.