View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Thank you for this insight. How do you think IDOT's legal and liability positions would play out if the funds ever appeared for a project to cap the Kennedy between Hubbard and the Circle? Would you see them perpetually blocking this from ever happening? Or would they be more willing to allow it since it would be publicly owned infrastructure with a park on top and no private development?
I think When it’s private money and IDOT gets to pull all the decision levers leaving developers will consulting advice, and have someone else pay for cost overuns, you’ll see some sort of cap in the future. Though I doubt it would be as elegant as anything seen in prior concepts

Maybe something like widened overpasses built independent from the current replacements that have built up landscape buffers so pedestrians can’t see the expressway. That’s all I see happening. Even if a full park provided some moderate benefits, it’s still fronted by the backsides of condo building service areas, parking decks and what would likely be off-ramp portals. Not exactly good edge conditions for quality urban space. Might look good from the sky though.