View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
The theory of daylight helping patients (and staff) is probably solid, but with the cost and insurance these days spending more then a couple days in the hospital is fairly unusual these days. I'm sure there are cases where somebody is in hospital for a couple weeks, but that's not the norm. Many years ago I had knee surgery and was in one day before surgery and many four after; now a similar surgery is either done as a out patient or maybe you'll be in for one night. Even with something as complex as open heart surgery in moved onto a rehab setting after a couple days.
I work in a Philly hospital, and unfortunately, there are a lot of patients who spend many months in the hospital, or come back frequently. Some patients I still recognize from when I started 2 years ago. Small procedures encourage a quick discharge, but there are many patients who are critically ill or with severe chronic disease who spend much of their time in hospitals due to a need for acute care. I know someone who also just passed the 70 day mark due to severe physical injury. A lot of people hover between life and death in hospitals, unfortunately. and the sad reality is that many people ultimately pass away in hosptials. I can see how sunlight and windows would be very important for not only their mental wellbeing but also for their frequent visitors and family.

Also @ajax, I feel like the hate is unwarranted. Imo it looks better than the renders so far, and I think it is a bold design that is leaps and bounds better than either most aging philly hospitals that were mostly built in the 60s or uninspiring glass boxes of present. I'm happy to see something bold and risk taking rather than something stifling, and I think judgements need to wait till after completion, especially after the landscaping and all that. Most importantly, this is a hospital, and their mission first and foremost is to help sick patients. This isn't just another residential tower. You've basically been trolling instead of offering anything constructive. People have different opinions, and many people legitimately like this building and aren't "delusional."

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Jan 16, 2019 at 10:35 AM.