View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The article makes a really valid and sad point that most of South Broad isn't zoned for dense development. Someone should probably tell Councilman Johnson that the way to stop "gentrification" of South Philly would be to allow denser developments along your main thoroughfare, which has a subway running underneath it.
Love that Broad and Bainbridge development and I agree with the point about the single-family zoning on Broad south of Washington, but I'd just point out that there are a lot of really nice brownstones (many are actually brownstones but not all) on South Broad that I would hate to see torn down for new schlock mid-rises like you see in University City. So I wouldnt want to have a zoning change that would lead to tear downs of the well-preserved examples. Many of these are already broken up into apartments as well often with medical offices on the ground floor. I can't imagine there are very many pure single family houses right on Broad. That being said, Broad is boring on most blocks and could have a lot more action. The empty lots should definitely all be mid-rise apartment buildings with ground floor commercial.