View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 4:57 PM

I personally believe that if Trump gets his second term (and it seems like that's going to happen), than immigration will slow down, and after Trump, either it may be Pence, or some other Republican figure, may continue Trump's policies of lower immigration rates. I don't see immigration as a Republican or a Democratic issue, but I do see the fact that certain groups don't benefit from immigration, especially illegal immigration like millions of Black Americans who were bypassed in favor of illegal immigrants.

It's a catch-22 in that if you embrace immigration, your numbers will rise and if you don't, then you'll either be stagnant or your population will fall. Coastal cities like NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, and even DC, and Miami have had high numbers of foreigners coming into those cities. In the Midwest, it seems like the only outlier is Chicago, and with lower numbers of Mexicans coming to Chicago recently, that's starting to affect Chicago's population and cause a decline.

I believe immigration is going to continue regardless of who's president, but it must be done the right way and it has to benefit everybody. With the wall being built, it's going to be harder for Mexicans to cross over that border, but I'm not sure how this affects Asians, considering that in Philadelphia, while we do have large Chinese and Indian populations, you also have a large Vietnamese and Cambodian population here as well.