View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craeg View Post
I dunno.... I think it is that bad. SF has been vehemently anti development for decades. We had a chance here to produce something new and daring - and we went for the safest most bland design (that kicked in the most money)
Now I understand why Pelli barely put any effort into their tower and spent almost the entire time talking about the park - they planned to kick in an enormous amount of money to smooth things over.
1.6 MSF of office space is really going to activate the street. oh yeah and maybe they'll throw in some residential if they absolutely have to.
Maybe I missed something, but SOM's proposal does not look to interact or activate the streets surrounding the terminal in any way beyond the primary entrance. Both the Rogers and Pelli proposals emphasize the porosity of their terminal designs, and in both renderings and elevations showed the variety of shops and activities that would line Natoma and Minna streets. This may have been another reason as to why the jury looked so unfavorably on the SOM proposal. SOM does show the possibility of storefronts and cafes, but it really seems like an afterthought beyond the interior of the terminal. A large elevated cage (as beautiful as it may be) spanning that many city blocks does very little to enliven the area.