View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
I am a duel citizen of the U.S. and the Republic of Ireland, although I have never traveled there, and have never gotten the Irish passport. My first experience with fresh off the boat Irish people was in Boston, and I was shocked by the alcoholism, fighting, and ignorance. I had people eyeballing me as being ethnically Irish and insisting that I should give them money. I'm like I don't owe you losers anything.
Not sure when this might have been but Ireland’s economy is in great shape now due to its low corporate tax rate. Many US and other companies have moved there to take advantage and a substantial tech industry developed. San Francisco has in the last couple of decades had considerable back and forth movement of Irish techies which resulted pre-covid in a number of Irish bars snd pubs frequented not only by the Irish but quite a few born/bred Americans as well.

Actually, my condo also contracts with an Irish waterproofing consultant (these days you might think of it as being so we don’t have a Surfside type event) and he’s a really great guy. I actually enjoy talking to him.