View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
So you two are saying that the iron structure is staying, and that the supertall will cantilever over it? Is this true?
Like I mentioned earlier, the tower and existing tower need to remain structurally independent. So if the existing steel structure stays, the shear wall on the left of the plan below would need to be transferred to bring that load down to the ground. This would be very difficult. My guess is the steel needs to be removed. If the steel is not removed, it will have to be substantially re-engineered to support the loads of a 1,400 foot tower rising above.

The Hearst Tower was a different beast since the original building was designed to have a tower built on top of it (the tower was nixed during the depression). Therefore, the existing building's structure was sized to accommodate the loads of a new tower. Plus, the Hearst Tower was a steel frame structure on top of a steel structure, whereas 111 West 57th Street is a concrete building built directly adjacent / adjoining to an existing steel frame structure - this is why I believe the existing and new construction must be structurally independent from one another.

Just some thoughts from an architect...