View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 12:13 AM
1st Ward

The fact that Soldier lacks a dome isn't the only reason the city isn't getting the Superbowl any time soon. From my understanding, the NFL requires a minimum stadium size, and Soldier is well below the cut off. We actually have the *smallest* stadium in the league, at 61,500 seats, and not only that... we actually *reduced* the number of seats when the stadium renovation was completed back in '02. The focus of the project was on adding more lucrative box suites, which were almost non existent in the old Soldier. The stadium also sadly but probably appropriately got delisted from the National Historic Landmark Register.

So the 'UFO landed in the Parthenon' for basically nothing, from the fan's point of view at least. And honestly, I am fine with Chicago not hosting the Superbowl. All the major sports have been seeing drastic declines in viewership and fan attendance since 2000, including the almighty NFL. No need to waste millions on a boondoggle for an enterprise that might be a much smaller and less profitable operation in a generation. And taxpayers certainly shouldn't have to pay for it either.