View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:25 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
^^Definitely agreed. Once the general public sees 3D printing in the "real world", so-to-speak, I expect it to take-off quite rapidly.

Something that i think has the potential to really affect people on a day-to-day basis is 3D "printed"/woven clothes.

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2015/0...e-of-clothing/

Imagine not owning any physical clothes, but simply owning a machine that stores all the printing codes for your wardrobe, as well as several different types of polymers and a recycling system to melt used clothes back down. Buying clothes would become as simple as downloading the printing instructions and receiving the right polymers in the mail from Amazon Prime or whatever.

Such technology has the potential to antiquate the textile industry (thank god) as well as the laundry industry.

The next generation will pity us and our countless hours of sorting, washing, drying, bleaching, ironing, folding, dry-cleaning, stitching, patching... All of this will be as simple as dropping the clothes back into the machine, where the polymers will be melted back down, filtered, and reprinted as good as new.. literally.