View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
I know. Reading all his messages I have come to conclude that apparently there is a "cult of ignorance" in the United Kingdom too.
No, it’s that people should be perfectly capable of assessing their own risk and acting accordingly.

The first lockdowns in March of last year made sense because we didn’t quite know what we were dealing with. By May or June we did and precautions should have been voluntary and based on individual risk.

The subsequent rules (even when restaurants/pubs in the UK were open from late July to October, they were not enjoyable) and then 6 more months of lockdowns were inexcusable and caused by the inability or unwillingness of the old or otherwise vulnerable to take appropriate precautions. And the media has pushed lies and engineered panic in order to keep people with nothing to worry about compliant. We didn’t need lockdowns, we needed common sense.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov