View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
It's a shame this isn't being pursued. I've been observing Chicago from above on google maps, and I've always thought the growth of downtown towards the west was a no-brainer. There's the University of Illinois, Malcolm X College, the united center, etc. and Commuter rail/two CTA lines that service the area for crying out loud! The surface lots, around the united center, scream "Hudson Yards".

The same applies for the areas of the south side nearest to downtown. Much of the building stock in this area is still phenomenal (what's left of it), there's beautiful historic town homes, small apartment buildnigs and highrises. The areas between the University of Chicago and the Loop can and should be connected with proper infill on the empty lots. Considering its proximity to the loop and excellent transit access, I'm in shock as to why Chicago fails to see the opportunity. Chicago could easily triple the size of its core and become a much more dynamic, healthier and competitive city.
It's not a lack of vision rather a lack of demand due to the housing crash and economic downturn. Things have sprung back in the last couple years and the market for small condo developments is heating up quite a bit recently due to a lack of inventory (few new builds and many underwater condo owners renting out since there is good money to be made now). More infill, hopefully more TOD, is definitely on the docket.