View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:25 PM

I roll through Hartford about once every 1-2 years, just because it's (relatively) close to Boston and I like to explore. I have never lived there so this is my opinion from those brief forays.

Pros:
-Easily the 2nd best skyline in New England (Travelers Tower is really exceptional)
-State Capitol building is an absolute stunner
-Nice system of parks between downtown and State Capitol, kind of like its own version of Boston Common
-A small handful of streets/intersections feel "big city" until you are confronted with all of the urban renewal parking lots.
-New baseball stadium and ongoing attempt to develop that area into a better neighborhood.
-Some charming architecture due to city's historical importance.

Cons:
-Downtown doesn't feel particularly vibrant, and lacks connectivity due to highways and parking lots.
-Right on Connecticut River, yet doesn't have a waterfront scene that I know of.
-Many surrounding neighborhoods are absolute crime ridden DUMPS. Obvious urban blight, even within spitting distance of nicer areas like the State House/Government area.
-Overall depressed feeling ever since the Whalers were poached by Raleigh.

From a New England perspective, Boston is in another universe, and Providence, Portland, and New Haven absolutely blow it out of the water as well. Again, I go through every once in a while because I like the skyline and architecture, but more often than not it's just because Route 84 is the fastest way from Boston to points South (NYC and beyond).

Also, this might be an unpopular opinion, but Connecticut is probably the least charming, worst state in New England. There's still plenty of charm compared to other places, just not compared to its own general area. If you want to live somewhere up here that's still reasonably affordable, your best bet is probably Portland Maine. Tell your daughter to find a job up there.