View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 7:50 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Updated 12:29 PM

NYPD Steps Up Security Following News Of Unsubstantiated Subway Terror Plot

The New York City Police Department has confirmed it is stepping up security around the city this holiday "out of an abundance of caution," following an unsubstantiated report of a terrorist plot against the subway system.

While there are no specifics, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly says its not uncommon especially at this time of year.

"There are no specific threats," said Kelly. "We always have to be concerned anytime we have large gatherings; that's precisely what we'll do Thanksgiving Day. We'll have sufficient deployment of officers in my judgment to ensure safety."

The NYPD and Metropolitan Transportation Authority say they are constantly re-adjusting to meet the city's security needs.

"The MTA is aware of an unsubstantiated report of terrorist threats against transit properties during the holiday season. We are already on high alert and are always on a heightened state of readiness during this season," MTA Press Secretary Jeremy Soffin in a statement. "We have been working closely with local, state and federal law enforcement to increase police presence throughout our transportation system. As always, we ask that our customers remain alert and report any suspicious activity or packages, but there is no reason to be alarmed."

The news comes as New Yorkers hit the roads, rails, and airports, heading to their holiday destinations.

The Port Authority says it's prepared for a busy travel weekend in the tri-state area.

Officials expect nearly five-million people to go through area airports, bridges, and tunnels.

But for the first time in years, the number of Americans traveling this weekend is expected to decrease as a result of worries about the economy.

AAA expects 41 million Americans to travel more than 50 miles this weekend – a decrease of about 1.5 percent, or 600,000 people. It would be the first drop in Thanksgiving travel since 2002.

Air travel is expected to be down more than seven percent.

The drop in travel comes in spite of rapidly falling gas prices, which are now on average less than $2 a gallon nationwide.

New Yorkers who spoke with NY1 this morning said despite the bleak economic situation, they are willing to go the extra mile for the holiday.

"Families are supposed to get together and share the thanksgiving dinner together and it's not all the time we get to share a meal together as a family," said one Staten Island resident.

"I have curtailed my driving in the last several months and basically travel overall," said another. "But this is a family tradition, drive up to Cape Cod and enjoy the holiday."

In an effort to keep the city moving, law enforcement officials will be cracking down on drivers who block intersections.

Under a law that took effect in September, blocking the box is now considered both a parking and a moving violation, so traffic agents or police officers can issue tickets to violators. It comes as the city is putting 200 additional traffic agents to work.

"It's estimated that these 200 new traffic enforcement agents will generate about $61 million in revenue and about $66 million here on out each fiscal year, based on, I think it's an average of $83 per summons that the city collects," explained Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

There are seven more Gridlock Alert Days this year after today. The next one comes a week from today.

Meanwhile, in observance of Thanksgiving, many closing and schedule changes are in effect around the city.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.