View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:19 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

Updated 12:10 PM

Sources: MTA To Hike Fares Still Higher

Newly-revealed details about the MTA's so-called “Doomsday Budget” show that mass transit will overall become even more expensive for New Yorkers.

According to sources close to the MTA's budget process, the agency is considering raising fare and toll revenue by 23 percent, nearly three times as high as the eight percent that had originally been talked about.

The MTA has some flexibility as to how an increase is allocated. It can apply to pay-per-ride customers or discounted MetroCards or both.

To help raise that revenue, sources say the MTA is looking at raising the fare for Access-a-Ride service to twice the base MetroCard fare, which is now $2 but is expected to rise.

The agency is also looking to raise the fare for express bus rides from $5 to $7.50.

The combined ridership of both services is more than 100,000 a day.

Express bus riders were dismayed at the proposed hikes.

"I don't know what's going on. I don't know if I can afford it or not. I don't know how I'm going to get back and forth from work," said a rider.

"It's a lot, because I don't have any other choice, but to take the express bus. I don't have a train near where I am. So that's a lot for people who don't have any other option," said another.

"I wish they wouldn't have to do that. But what can you do? They have a deficit. But they should find other ways to close the deficit, maybe get more money from the government," said a third.

Elected officials say Albany lawmakers need to shift the burden away from those who can least afford to pay more.

"I quite frankly don't know what's going on in Albany. I'm not there any more," said Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer. " But clearly they've got to wake up and think bigger and bolder. And I believe very strongly that it's time to reinstate the commuter tax, earmark it to mass transit, because this kind of transit increase is going to be a tipping point for people to flee this city."

The MTA will unveil its complete slate of cost-cutting proposals at a board meeting tomorrow.

It's also been reported that officials will call for the elimination of the W and Z subway lines, slashing the G and M lines in half and eliminating express service on the Z train.

Dozens of bus routes would be eliminated and hundreds of jobs could be cut.

MTA officials blame plummeting tax revenues for their deficit and say the agency is in serious need of state aid.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.