View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
They're not going to implode a two million square foot structure just because its 'ugly'. Do you know what that would cost?

Lets start by first completing the Wolf Point towers and then flattening the much more offensive East Bank Club across the street and replace it with a row of new towers along the North branch. A new fitness center could be incorporated into the base. I can see that happening in the next decade.
Well it happens in more expensive real estate markets. But you're right, it's unlikely in Chicago, because the downtown area isn't fully built out and there are cheaper places to build.

That said, they are considering demolishing the Thompson Center, which would seem to me to be just as prohibitive in terms of cost. And while the building needs work, it also has more architectural merit.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov