View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 8:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The problem with COVID in the US is that American healthcare workers have been "burned out and overworked" FOREVER. I have listened to (hell, and even contributed to) bitching to deaf ears for as long as I can remember.
In Canada some of this seems to come from the medical associations, credentialing, and universities themselves. The process to get a medical degree in Canada is ultra-competitive, to the point where extremely good students are turned away, yet we are told there's a huge shortage. I suspect it goes deeper and the system is inflexible in terms of training and what work needs to get done, such that the skills can never quite fit the demand.

And like I said in Canada we can attract 400,000 immigrants a year and our federal government can spend $300B extra but we can't do things like find people who are willing to do quarantined shifts at care homes and help old people take their pills and go to the bathroom. We paid tons of healthy young people lots of money to sit at home during the pandemic after forcing their employers to fire them.