View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
so many of the arguments i hear for working from home is that i'm able to do things that are not work during the day....which i get....but also why I think eventually people will be pushed back to the office....i agree about the young mothers point...i have the same experience in my office....that leads to a larger discussion than WFH.

other than gaining time form an average 25 minute commute, shouldn't you be focused on working in those hours anyways.

As shown in the comment above, It seems like so much of the WFH discussion is about hating the commute (which is ironically what i missed the most when i was at home, because i don't drive)...it makes me wonder, that if commuting is so terrible, why do so many people not consider their commute when they choose a place to live....seems like solid surface countertops is more important than how far they need to drive....driving does suck...so why not do less of that instead of sitting alone all day just to avoid it.
Yes, because there are so many desirable options for a family of 4 to live downtown......

And we know only young mothers want to be at home and help out with the house and kids, right? What year are you living in?

Unfortunately your desire for urbanism everywhere clouds your ability to see that people also desire yards for themselves and children, quality elementary and high school options, available child care, and proximity to decent services. None of which exist downtown. Where I live now was selected for a reason other than solid surface countertops, as was the case for many people.

It's 55 mins to get to the lake and 20-25 mins to get to work. I move one way I'm driving the other. It's not as cut and dry for everyone as you make it out to be with your sunny ways urbanism. We live in Winnipeg.

Also, you do understand the term work-life balance right? If someone wants to go for a walk during the work day or run out to cut the grass or go get groceries does it really bother you or affect you? Provided they have ensured their work responsibilities are complete what does it matter?

You seem most bothered by the fact that someone won't be consistently working throughout the day. Your desire for the standard 8 hour work day straight lock away is old school and outdated. Are you focused on work and only work for your 8 hours a day in the office?

You are free to live your life as you choose without the look down your nose at others who don't live the same way. It's not possible or desirable for everyone, and that's ok. It's far more complex than move if you don't like driving. It's telling that you have tried to distill it into one factor such as that.

And again, your work from home experience of solitary loneliness is not everybody's experience.