View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 4:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ agreed.

NO MORE PUBLIC MONEY SUBSIDIES FOR MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR SPORTS INDUSTRIES!

we need to end that shit once and for all. we played that stupid fucking game with the bears 20 years ago, and look where it got us. ENOUGH!

if the bears are greedy enough to come begging again only a couple decades after they last held their hat out, then they need to go fuck right off.

This.

It's one of seemingly countless never-ending very successful cons that business interest groups manage to pull off over time sometimes without breaking a sweat.

Further, I literally could not care less if the Bears move to Arlington Heights or anywhere else for that matter. In fact, the city should always be seeking ways to substantively bolster its reputation and standing on local, regional, national, and global levels. How does a continued association with a perennially awful organization that routinely puts out a terrible product further that obvious objective? If they were to relocate to some generic, dull, forgettable suburb, perhaps it would be a match made in heaven - if only in such a case there were a legally enforceable way to pry the "Chicago" from their name.

So, not only should there be no public money involved in trying to keep them, perhaps the city should be actively seeking to jettison this miserable outfit from its borders?

That stated, if there were some sort of much larger deal to be had, where they city really gets a bunch of significant related and perhaps some less related appealing things related to economic development in a much broader context than just a new stadium, then perhaps, just perhaps it might be worth exerting anything beyond the bare minimal effort to have them stay. (again, no public money going to the team) Otherwise, bye. I don't see how anyone other than hopeless die hard fans could be so shameless as to attempt to mount a counterargument at this point, with the relevant historic record.