View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I see what you're saying, but downtown residents do not support this. The NPU is in opposition, as are prominent downtown residents (Kyle Kessler, Darin Givens, etc). And there certainly has been a lot of development downtown recently - $2.5 billion worth in the last few years.

I have to take issue with your statement that there isn't "any sort of grocery store" in downtown:
1)There's the curb market, several seasonal produce markets (e.g., Peachtree Center Green Market), and a 24 hour CVS and new Walgreens. Not ideal, but you can certainly buy fresh produce and meats as well as packaged and frozen items in downtown.
2)Support for a grocery store has nothing to do with support for this proposal. What if a suburban-style Kroger with a giant surface parking lot was proposed for downtown? Couldn't someone be opposed to that project, but still support increased grocery options for downtown? Again, this proposal isn't the only option for the site, and it's disingenuous to imply that people who don't support this plan don't support an improved downtown with more residents and grocery options.
No one is implying anything close to what you're saying here. Don't distort my words. You're the one who's taking everything to the extreme. I'm just saying some people might be desperate for something to get started here. Downtown below Marietta street has been a shithole for ages now.