View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
SA - I am not personally "attacking" you just so we are clear, but who are you referring to with your comment? If it is at me, I am fine with it. I am a big boy and thick skinned.
Not directed at you, actually!! No, I think you put up fair points and argue similarly to one of my friends that is libertarian. He's often much worse- nearly always insufferable every time and refuses to concede to scientific fact that differ from views other than his own. I imagine you'd prefer just to see comparable developments, reports from the brookings institute, and/or to familiarize with transportation demand modeling software.

Shivtim brings up a lot of valid points regarding this not really being an open issue for bid period. Seems very shady. The parking itself is exorbitant. People get up in arms in Chicago west loop when there's too much parking- we should too for atlantas downtown. Civic engagement is healthy for a decision. To be frank though- anyone that argues we need parking for people visiting/commuting to the city from Alabama need to broaden their perspective. Atlanta is a city for its residents- not others- and should start acting like it. Otherwise- like Shivtim mentioned, Atlanta will never grow into the city that it absolutely could become. Atlanta is a transient city, where people often come and go. If poor planning keeps occurring in Atlanta, I will not be surprised if younger generations look away from Atlanta once they pay off their loans or save up money- if they come here. Half miles of parking garages in midtown, parking decks in our largest park, additionally 3,500 parking spaces in the heart of downtown with only 8,000 residents, rails to trails project that allows poor adjacent developments, numerous massive strip malls and big box developments within two miles of the epicenter... the list goes on.

Atlanta needs to fix its zoning codes and planning processes ASAP.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:33 AM.