View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 9:35 AM

Yep, that was my conclusion too, and the photographs of the crash scene on the linked ETHW page show that the collision definitely was not in or near downtown. I think the developer's architect got his tower history scrambled between two different towers on two different locations linked only by their association to WOAI, leading him to make a somewhat spurious suggestion to review commissioners of keeping the tower "as a memorial" that has since been dropped as the mix up was later realized.

That's just as well, as a greater issue for me is actually not so much the transmission tower, but that the current proposal treats the Riverwalk side at street level as a valet and access driveway with garage entrance, which seems an urbanistically poor response to the site's opportunities. The B&A architect's brief mentioning of retaining the tower offered a means to imagine a potential alternative, and, although the architect's underlying historical rationale does not work out, something like this alternative was considered a possibility.

Hmmm, the proposed entrance from the driveway would fall behind the transmitter tower...how many hotels can boast an entry vestibule that is a 500-foot-tall, open-air, geometric spire? Just add a few wind chimes.

Last edited by Hindentanic; Sep 16, 2021 at 10:23 AM.