View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I think Park Central has zoning for 750' and Toll Brothers also had somewhere around 650 feet for their 31 E Thomas lot before they built 5 stories of apartments instead.

But a few new tallests for that area isn't going to somehow make it Phoenix's "urban core"...midtown isn't walkable and nobody's building any highrises there anyways. That kind of demand isn't there for residential or office and probably won't be for a while.
Well doesn’t midtown exist for this very reason? Allow for much taller buildings than is possible downtown due to the airport? I mean there was a proposal in the 80s for the ‘worlds tallest’ at Central & Indian school at one point. IIRC, NIMBY opposition killed that and forced the city to ask him to chop it up into 4x 40 story buildings instead. At the time, that building would have been tall enough to house all available office space in the valley. Heck, I thought I remember reading about the Financial Center (Punch Card building) was supposed to have another much taller building on that site. I’m sure there were many other proposals - I do recall reading about some of them on this very forum years ago.

I think he’s right - between the 7’s and McDowell to Camelback is likely where the real density will move given some time.