View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
^Infill, infill, infill...infill.

Devon's certainly impressive, but compared to the rest of OKC's skyline?

Not as bad, and I really like Salesforce Tower in SF, but it still sticks out more so than it probably should from certain viewpoints.

My hometown of Cincinnati built a perfectly fine skyscraper in 2010, ruined by a gaudy tiara, making it taller than the beloved Carew Tower. Kind of feels like cheating.
I watched the NYE countdown last year on the SalesForce Tower while watching fireworks over the bay bridge standing on the pier. It was one of my favorite memories, very cool that SalesForce has that setup.

My favorite downtowns to visit are:

1. Chicago - I have a great love for the city and used to live there for a short time. I lived at 40 E Delaware so if you're familiar with the city you know that's a pretty busy touristy area but I still loved it. Lots to do, didn't drive a car more than a dozen times in that 18 months.

2. Tulsa - What a grand city. The number of beautiful Art Deco buildings downtown is staggering for its size. It was a pretty wealthy oil town and still is a pretty wealthy town. Blue Dome District has a lot of great restaurants and we always love hanging out in Brady Arts as well. Smaller than OKC but a lot more fun in my opinion.

3. Omaha - many people think I'm kidding but I love visiting Omaha. The downtown area around Old Market is just killer. There's not a ton of density but it's easily one of the more fun cities to walk around.

Yes, I'm a midwesterner at heart. I don't really like California cities, they tend to be dirty and hard to really see much on foot. A few years ago I bought a car at a Downtown LA dealership, we flew out there and picked it up but spent the day looking around before driving home. Walking past the downtown Farmer's Market, Bottega Louie and some other hotspots is interesting but it's pretty nerve wracking in some areas. I feel more unsafe there than I ever have in Memphis or STL which are notoriously unsafe. Just something about California doesn't feel good to me. That said I do love my weekends at San Ysidro Ranch in Santa Barbara but I would not expect many people to be familiar with that town, more of a weekend away for LA people, like what Flagstaff is for us.