View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 26, 2015, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UChicagoLand View Post
In the right context, this building makes sense. But I can't see any way that it references the University of Chicago campus.
Lol, what exactly is it supposed to reference? The gothis architecture of the original buildings? The Robie House? The neighborhood courtyard buildings? The Saarinen law school? Mies' Indian Village buildings? The new Gang dorms and city Hyde park? The Vinoly business school? The White City? Jahns mechanical plants and library? Netsch's library?

This is one of the more rediculous criticisms I've read considering almost nothing in Hyde Park references anything else in the area unless the style is centered on referential design like the Vinoly's nods to Wright across the street. This is one of the most architecturally diverse places on earth and as such there is no such thing as "out of place" here.

It's a shame that apparently we are not getting this design, but are instead getting another dose of NYC architects bringing us brutes a little culture. I mean look at this picture, I don't care if you designed the High Line, you look like the three doucheketeers:

UChicago.edu

Looks like Bono and Mick Jagger had kids who take themselves way too seriously.