View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2022, 1:29 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
3615 Montrose will be a high rise that will stand out in a generally single family home and mid rise residential neighborhood. I do not like these kinds of developments in Houston. We should reserve the high rises to high rise neighborhoods designed for them. This is an issue with Houston’s form of planning.
I'd worry more if there wasn't what seems to be a precedent for building taller or denser structures on or around this stretch of Montrose Blvd - especially since the Parc IV & V 12-story condo buildings across the street from this site have been there since the 60s. Where Hanover Montrose is now used to be a building, about the same height as the Parcs, and it was a 1950s building IIRC. It was where Skybar used to be. About the only exception is the tower behind La Colombe d' Or - but that's a given since the historic building for the hotel is on Montrose, and the only demolition required was for a 1990s era ballroom.

If anything, it seems the new wave of larger structures seem to be taking spaces directly along the boulevard - the commercial stretch. Even the larger and taller current proposals I can think of like WestMont at Westheimer and the Farb tower at Fairview embrace Montrose rather than retreat into the lower density areas.

What I'm interested in seeing is if the trend will continue. If it does, the Montrose cluster of highrises can expand and may eventually bridge the gap between the taller structures in the Museum District and the new ones starting to go up along West Dallas & Allen Parkway.