View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 5:13 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ How will you ever develop immunity to viruses that we don't have vaccines to (which are most of them) if everybody did that?

School is a wonderful cauldron of viruses, a training ground for our young immune systems. We take for granted the immunity we have for so many viruses out there because we were exposed to them over and over again in our youth.

It is lack of prior exposure to viruses that killed off, tragically, millions of Native Americans centuries ago when Europeans brought those viruses over.

It's important to not get caught up in the false idea that infection = bad and lack of infection = good. We did not evolve in that environment. We need exposure to infectious antigens in order to build our immunity--it could save one's life some day.
yep. agree to all of that. there's a reason why schools are (not so jokingly) referred to as "germ factories".

little kids are supposed to get sick. it is literally how their young immune systems learn to deal with a germ-filled world.

now, i get it, covid is a novel thing, it's brand new and there is much we still don't know about it, so i don't have a big problem with taking some precautions regarding it.

but we need to MANAGE the risk, not eliminate it.

if my 5 year old wakes up one morning with a runny nose and no fever, there's like a 99% chance that it ain't covid. LET ME SEND HIS ASS TO SCHOOL!

99% is good enough.

if he's got a fever too, fine, yes, i'll go get him a PCR test just to be sure.

it's this "no child who isn't in 100% PERFECT health can ever set foot in a school again" zero-tolerance idiocy that is just completely aggravating for any parent with a kid who has symptomatic seasonal allergies (sometimes for weeks/months on end).