View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
By the way I am enjoying watching more and more of you eventually come around to the point of view I have held for many, many months.
I think there's a lot of diversity of opinion and more sanity out there than say Twitter would have one believe but the politicization has been deranging some and scaring away others. It also seems like a lot of the institutions and public communicators charged with handling this are not very good, particularly in the US (FDA, Fauci, and so on).

It was hard a year ago to talk about the most basic concepts of QALY, mortality and how around 1% die every year, how $$ can be translated to human health, mitigation costs matter and can be worse than disease burden, a sick 95 year old dying is not the same as that person dying at age 22, etc. These things would probably have been considered "obvious" outside the context of the pandemic. In 2019 all the progressive people were up in arms over how certain disadvantaged groups earned less money or had lower educational attainment and then in 2020 they said it didn't matter if schools were closed down indefinitely and double digit percentages of the population were thrown out of work. If anybody cares to look back at this stuff 5-10 years in the future when it's no longer actively politicized it will look crazy.