View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Happy to help!

This is a close-up from what the Huntington Digital Library calls "4th and Hill, Los Angeles. 1902." The front of the Hafen is a bit obscured, but it was the best
image I could locate. We get to see the older building to the Hafen's immediate north as well:

167596 at HDL

In addition . . .

This HDL photo (167595) is called "3rd and Hill, Los Angeles. 1902." You don't see the Hafen as clearly, but it's another view, anyhow.

This HDL photo (259693) is dated September 1, 1927. If the Hafen House was still standing, shouldn't we see it or its shadow on the building in the lower right
corner (with the "Baxter-Northup Co <-- Musical Instruments" sign)?
Thanks so much! I swear, sometimes I think images at photo archives like to temporarily disappear just to mess with us, because I couldn't find that one when I looked, despite my vivid memory of it. And, I totally agree, in the 1927 shot the Hafen should be evident. That's why I was limited in saying it was a parking lot "by" 1949, because unhelpfully, there's no demo permit for it. It's there in the 1921 Baist map, and there's a permit for an auto parks shed in 1949. Now, with the 1927 shot, it stands to reason it fell between 1921-27.

Reason I'm looking for the HH, btw, is I'm doing some work on early cafeterias and by all accounts the first cafeteria west of the Mississippi was—known quite simply as The Cafeteria, since it was the only one—opened in the semi-basement of the Hafen House in the spring of 1905.