View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:41 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Go take another look. There is a fifth track that serves express runs on the UPNW. It gives us a third platform. Even if the entire third platform was off the ROW, what part of my list was wrong. They still have to move all the tracks and the switches, still have to widen the embankment and they still have to build a new viaduct.

And how does this benefit Metra? That station is heavily used as it sits. In fact it generates more rides than the entire Heritage Corridor. They might shave a minute in boarding time, but that don't mean shit on an hour and a half run.

Certainly it is possible, If Sterling Bay wants to pay for it, fine. But so far, they haven't committed one red cent.
That's my point. The third track on UPNW doesn't actually begin until an interlocking just south of the Clybourn platforms. Further south than that, UPNW operates on only two tracks. I don't see a reason why the interlocking can't be moved north of Clybourn, so that UPNW only has two platform tracks. This would reduce the footprint of a "new Clybourn" station and eliminate confusion as well, since it's not always clear which platform an inbound train will berth.

Ultimately the viaducts at Armitage and Ashland/Cortland need to be replaced, so some kind of large capital project is needed here anyway. The Armitage ones are fairly standard and the replacements will be similar to the other new viaducts on UPN and UPNW, but the Ashland/Cortland structure will be a big project. Not in the billions, but (when combined with a new station) probably in the $100M-$200M range.

It's in Metra's interest to play ball because a stronger linkage to the 606 will only bolster ridership... there's no parking lot here, anyone getting on the train is transferring from buses, Ubers, or walking/biking. Plus, the curved platforms at the existing Clybourn station pose something of a safety risk, and the existing station is totally non-compliant with ADA.