View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 5:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Still trying to find songs that make you smile / laugh. Wow, this was actually #2 on the pop charts that year?
Video Link

WFBH Eye Institute:
This project will start construction on infrastructure, soon. Work on the actual building won't start until January 10, 2023. Sadly, we will have to wait until June 27, 2022, at the earliest, for renderings. They are finishing the schematic design right now. Completion is set for August 6, 2024. I would look for something happening at the site around the end of next month.

Roar:
The conversion of a former Ford automobile assembly plant and showroom into a mixed-use entertainment, food hall, office space, rooftop bar, and restaurant space. It should be completed in another week or two. Est! Est!! Est!!! opened yesterday. Mayfair Club rooftop bar opens today.

Credit: jlcaspers.ws

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Credit: roar.ws

Merschel Park:
And work has now restarted on this park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel @ WSTB Forum
Ram's Point Apartments & Retail:
The developer has acquired the site and this project is now ready to move forward. Yes, more apartments! These will be located between Third and Fourth streets.

Liberty Park:
An update on the sensory garden project.

Credit: Wake Wagner

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: Chris Miller

Forsyth County Courthouse:

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

Site demolition has started for this project:

Credit: winston_360

The InBetween Artist Collective:
The InBetween is an artistic company that is woman-owned, black-owned, and LGBTQIA+ owned. They will provide an immersive experience that makes you question and appreciate everything around you. Their goals are to provide affordable shows and exhibits, implement educational programs, and become a sustainable company. It's currently in the fundraising stage.

Video Link

Lesser-Known Beer Company:
We now know the name of the restaurant in this development. It will be called East of Texas.

This mixed-use (craft beer brewery - restaurant - office space) project is the entire block of historic storefronts:

Credit: lesserknownbeerco

Exposition Center:
A new site was found, on the northwest side of the county, but Forsyth County will need a crossing permission from the Yadkin Valley Railroad. The City of Winston-Salem donated the 200-acre property, so the site is acquired. This could become a significant event center for northwest North Carolina.

Artreaux Apartments:

Credit: Harold K Jordan & Co., Inc.

Credit: Harold K Jordan & Co., Inc.

Herbalife Lab Space Expansion:
Herbalife is currently preparing for a lab expansion. Not many details at this time.

Homewood Suites Hotel:
And we have elevations, from Atlanta-based architect OM Design Solutions. The height is around 69 feet / 21 metres. It's nothing exciting, but it will be visible from Salem Parkway.

Credit: OM Design Solutions

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
Workers are at the site, clearing it for the new mixed-use office / retail / residential development. The structures being demolished are not worth preserving. Some are boarded-up structures that have sat vacant for a few years. It should bring more residents and workers into downtown's IQ District. This is a major upgrade for these blocks and look at that skyline and IQ District view!

Work has started, demolishing the 1969-1970 structures for the new mixed-use development:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Winston Towne South Condominiums: Cancelled
The IRS executed a warrant to seize select funds from Hayco Construction, the General Contractor and a development partner on this project. They are alleging probable cause of wire and / or bank fraud involving PPP funds. It appears as if the founder may have invested PPP funds in a Canadian biotech company called Universal Ibogaine Inc.,. The construction company's founder was in Mexico when they attempted to execute the seizure.

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:

Six Hundredº restaurant is completed and now open!

Credit: stitchdesignshop

It's a 1926 power plant building converted into retail / restaurant and office space:

The chef of this restaurant was voted Chef of the Year for North Carolina, so this is a big opening:

University of Strasbourg Downtown Campus:
The University of Strasbourg president, Michel Deneken, toured downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District and is planning an educational and research collaboration that may result in a new Innovation Quarter building. Deneken said “It is my first trip to the United States and what I have seen here is in contrast to my country. That means very ambitious programs and great, huge buildings. This is very amazing. I see that we can have very committed actions because here I found excellence in robotics and simulators, which are very important in my university." The collaboration with the French university is seen as having potential to boost education and scientific discovery in downtown Winston-Salem and the world.

Link Apartments 4th Street:

Credit: monaart

Pieces of the sculpture planned for the site:

Credit: monaart

Alternative Transportation:

Cloverleaf Park:
Senator Richard Burr secured $1,721,000 for this park's bike and walking path along downtown Winston-Salem's waterfront. I'm guessing this will start construction later this year.

AeroX Innovation Hub:
Joby Aviation, a VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) division of Toyota, was the air-taxi company looking into a large campus at AeroX Innovation Hub at Smith Reynolds Airport. It would've brought 1,600 jobs to Winston-Salem by 2025. Sadly, Toyota backed-away from the project. I'm not sure if they will return to Winston-Salem, seeking incentives, at a later date? Some of these projects do that. Smith Reynolds Airport is working to become a major hub for VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) research and development with their AeroX Innovation Hub.

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: oo_tina_oo140647

Credit: tim_hutch

Your City