View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
I don't think the glory days of the Portage Village Inn happened until well after Portage Place was built. I believe there was still an Advance Electronics in that building in the 1980s.
North Portage was not in any way post-apocalyptic in the 80s. There were a few moderately sketchy video arcades like Long John Silvers and Dr Qs and the Downtown theatre, as well as Solar News, which was like Dominion News in every way. But otherwise it was restaurants and record and clothing stores. It never really got bad until the sidewalks were abandoned after Portage Place opened.
I can tell you by the early 80's North Portage was sketchy, rundown & the only place to eat was Szechuan & Pantages. They were gone by 1985.
It was not nice or comfortable. Not much to see shop wise.
Portage Places was built to replace that hideousness.
Portage Place was a great improvement but cheap/frugal Whiny-peggers were comparing a city mall to a suburban mall and free parking there so..we almost deserve what happened in some ways. We wanted better and did not support the upscale classy stores a sparkling mall with fountains and loads of trees.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Nov 24, 2021 at 11:42 PM.