View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
verrrrrrrry interesting. yeah some monitors and screens can go out of sync with newer cameras and it's disturbing to look at. also sometimes when you film a helicopter and the frame rate is just right it looks like they are levitating.

i was not being scientific when i used "flickering" i'm not sure what the right term is... LEDs area more... uniform light. If you catch my drift
Your use of the word flicker is a correct technical term, aka Flicker fusion threshold. Just to elaborate, an LED is a diode which is like a one way valve, energy only passes one way through it. AC current can be variable, meaning it can go back and forth. A converter is used to help maintain a steady current to the diode by redirecting, or capturing the reverse flow of an AC power source when it occurs, to the input of the diode because it would not be able to enter the diode from the exit side, (rudimentarily speaking) rendering the diode basically useless or susceptible to constant dimming and major flickering due to constant temporary power loss. On large scale circuits I worked on, we used capacitors and resistors to maintain constant electrical charge to DC driven devices. If you look at a string of LED lights, you can find one or more converters on the line itself. Its about 2 inches long and about the width of a cigarette. The higher the quality of converter, the steadier the output of light. They don't have to be elaborate or 100% effective because remember the human eye / brain sees 24 flickers per second as steady light. This also keeps the cost down. Someday I'm going to dissect one out of curiosity. So eliminating most of the flicker issues is possible. Sooooooo off topic, sorry.

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 2, 2020 at 11:20 PM.