View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
Thanks. I didn’t realize it went that far out. Using Mapquest it’s showing that’s a 6.6 mile drive from 30th street to the airport. That map shows you’d probably be into 32nd street before you could ever think about a building over 500 feet if it was allowed. I was just curious as lack of housing becomes tighter in the state and the cities here get more pressure from the state to build dense if the downtown area would bleed over at some point into the surrounding lower built areas of the city. Didn’t expect anything over 500 feet but maybe more pressure to build higher on the cities outer limits. 2020’s events have paused things for now but the state seemed set on forcing changes to the cities here about building higher (more dense). Downtown bleeding outward seemed a natural event...
True, but once can achieve density without overwhelming height. I've seen planning documents that show it's physically feasible for downtown San Diego to fit over 200k+ residents with population density greater than Manhattan, without removing the 500' limit. The trick is to increase FAR limits. Low and stocky is just as good at creating density as tall and thin, and often cheaper to boot.

Note: supporting populations larger than ~100k would require significant improvements in infrastructure, especially public transit. Downtown is currently scoped for 90k residents, about 3x its current population.