View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 5:46 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjrip View Post
Makes sense. I can't imagine the complexity of that cost-benefit analysis lol. I'm assuming that kind of potential future modification requires them to essentially overbuild the original building, which no doubt costs quite a bit extra with regard to the material selection and foundation.
Yes, buildings designed for overbuilding are overengineered in their initial phases where the tower pads are meant to be. They are deliberately built with the foundations, footings, and internal infrastructure necessary to support later additions. This is a calculated risk, as it may take generations (see the Gallery) for overbuilding to occur. However, if -- and this is an if for me as I haven't seen the site plans yet, but this is what Summersm was reporting -- the building is designed for an overbuild, it is also a statement of faith on Brandywine's part that the market will demand a more intensive use on this parcel sooner than the building's natural replacement cycle (at which point raze-and-replace becomes viable).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)